Perhaps the most important element of a youthful-looking appearance is volume. As we age, we lose volume in our faces in particular, as our bones and muscle thin and our skin thins and sags.
Injectable fillers have gained tremendous popularity as a way to regain lost volume. Facial fillers can be administered quickly and generally involve little to no downtime. Fillers have become longer lasting and can even stimulate your body to produce its own natural collagen again.
If you’re considering facial fillers, please read below to learn more:
- They cost less. Because fillers are much less invasive than a surgical procedure and generally take less time to administer, the cost of these treatments also tends to be lower. Based on a personal consultation with your plastic surgeon, you may wish to combine a filler treatment with other treatments to obtain the results that are best for you.
- They can last for years. Facial fillers have improved in recent years and have become much longer lasting. Sculptra is a popular choice as it builds your body’s own collage and lasts for years. Research has shown that results last up to 26 months, though many patients feel their results have lasted longer.
- There are different types. Fillers are made up of a number of different substances. Examples include hyaluronic acid which is a natural substance found in your body. Calcium hydroxylapatite is a mineral-like compound found naturally in human bones. Polylactic acid is a synthetic material, which when injected, stimulates the body’s own production of collagen and is known to work particularly well in the lower half of the face. Fillers work in different ways and its essential to consult your cosmetic surgeon to determine what will work best for you, based on desired results.
- They’re quick. Generally speaking, there is little to no downtime with facial fillers. You may experience swelling or a bit of bruising, which should fade within a few days, but most patients are able to resume their daily activities in a matter of hours or days. Some fillers produce immediate results while some take a few weeks for the best results to appear.
- They promise results. Facial fillers are a proven treatment for the face and are commonly used to plump thin lips, enhance shallow contours, soften facial creases, remove wrinkles and improve the appearance of recessed scars. There is no doubt that facial fillers work. It’s most often just a matter of how much you need, and which facial artist is performing your volume enhancement.